Appium is an open source test automation framework for use with native, hybrid and mobile web apps.
It drives iOS and Android apps using the WebDriver protocol. Let’s see appium download and installation onto MAC OS X.
- Java Home
- Android SDK
- Android Home
Step 1: JDK Installation
Step 2: Setting up JAVA_HOME
Step 3: XCODE Installation
Step 4: Install ANDROID SDK
1. Go to Android Developers tools website.
2. Scroll down to “Get just the command line tools” section. Click on Mac OS X zip file.
3. Unzip the file and move it to some location, preferably at HOME directory. Rename folder to Android.
4. Navigate to Android>>tools.
Double Click on Android icon.
Open a Terminal window. Type android and Hit enter . If you get a error message as command not found , it means that your PATH variable is not set correctly. You can still open Android SDK manager by navigating to android/tools folder
5. Select Android SDK Platforms-tools, Android SDK Build-tools, latest Android API, Android API corresponding to your Android Mobile OS version and click Install packages.
Step 5: Setting up ANDROID_HOME on MAC OS X
1. Open a terminal window.
2. Then open open ~/.bash_profile
3. Add ANDROID_HOME variable and update PATH variable. To change editor into Insert mode, hit i
Hit Escape then colon : and wq to save and exit vim editor.
4. On terminal type $source ~/.bash_profile
Step 6: Appium Download & Installation
Method 1: Appium.app Installation
1. Go the Appium website. Click on Download Appium.
Once Download is complete, double click on the file.
Drag and drop Appium icon Application folder.
Open Lauchpad and click on appium icon.
You should expect pop up asking appium to authorize iOS simulator. Click on Yes.
Method 2: Install Appium from Command Line tools
I would recommend to install appium as an appium.app and from command line tools as well. Both serves a purpose that we can see later in this tutorial.
1. Once home brew is installed, its very straight forward to install appium on Mac with command Line. Launch a terminal window and enter following commands one after another
brew install node # get node.js
npm install -g appium # get appium
npm install wd # get appium client
appium & # start appium
Congratulations! you have successfully installed Appium on Mac OS X.