Appium is an open source test automation framework for use with native, hybrid and mobile web apps.
It drives iOS and Android apps using the WebDriver protocol.
Let’s see how we can download and install appium onto windows m/c.
- Java Home
- Android SDK
- Android Home
- ADB/USB drivers
Step 3: Install Android SDK
The Android SDK (software development kit) is a set of development tools used to develop applications for Android platform.
1. Click here to view Android SDK download page.
2. Scroll down to SDK Tools Only section.
3. Select Package corresponding to your OS.
4. Accept terms and conditions and click on download button.
5. Once file gets downloaded, double click on the file and follow the instructions.
Step 4: Setting up Environment variable for Android
1. Follow same steps as mentioned in Step 2 above to set variable ANDROID_HOME
2. Update path variable. Add/Append %ANDROID_HOME%\tools and %ANDROID_HOME%\platform-tools to the path variable.
3. Now check if android environment variable is set properly or not. Open command prompt and type Android. Hit Enter.Android SDK Manager Window should open.
Step 5: Installation of Android SDK tools and API Libraries.
1. Open Android SDK Manager as we have seen in previous step.
2. Select tools, Latest API(e.g. Android 6.0 API 23), API corresponding to your android device version.(e.g. if you have android device with Android version as 5.0, then select API 21.
3. Scroll down to extra section, and make sure that Google USB Driver is installed, if not then select it as well. Click on Install packages.
Step 6: Install USB drivers or ADB USB drivers
Step 7: Check for ADB devices
1. Connect your android phone to your m/c with USB cable.
2. Open command prompt. Enter ADB Devices. If everything is setup correctly, ADB devices command should list your android device.
If you are able to follow all above steps, then you are just one step away from starting automation for android devices.
Congratulations! You have successfully completed all prerequisites to start with Android Automation.